I often find too many competitions from Microsoft ignore the southern tip of Africa or focus on specific markets, like education with the great ImagineCup event. Finally us hard working developers get a great competition: Internet Explorer 9 Top Developer Competition!
This competition wants* developers to either create an awesome IE 9 add-on or light up a web site with some of the new awesome IE 9 features – so if you a web dev, html monkey, C++ or .NET developer you can take part!
The prize? A trip to PDC – the conference were two years ago everyone got hand build super laptops and last year Windows Phone 7 devices**, not to mention it is where the top Microsoft development speakers meet!
So get coding, you only have until March!!
Some things you may want to check out:
- Competition website: www.6to9.co.za
- IE 9 Features: http://www.6to9league.co.za/features.aspx
- IE 9 HTML 5 Test Drive Site: http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/
- SpicIE, a plug in creation framework for IE: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/SpicIE
- IE Addon’s website (for inspiration): http://www.ieaddons.com/en/
- Firefox Addon’s website (for inspiration ): https://addons.mozilla.org/
* Side note: “The competition wants” really sounds like the competition is a living entity and will punish you if you don’t do this… it isn’t and it won’t.
** My guess for this year at PDC is giving everyone tablets - just looking at what was announced at CES.