I recently created an event website and needed to create links for people to add the events to their calendars - the documentation for how to do this for Google cloud is a mess so this is what I eventually worked out.
https://www.google.com/calendar/render?action=TEMPLATE and now each piece we will add is an additional parameter.
- Title is specified as
text, so append that to the URL if you want that. For example if I wanted the title to be
Welcome, then I would add
- Date/Time is next, starting with the keyword
dates. Here we specify the date as YYYYMMDD, e.g. 1 July 2022 is
20220701, and times are formatted as HHMMSS, e.g. 8:30 am is
083000. The date and time are seperated with the letter
Tand the starting and end pieces are seperated with
/. For example if we start the Welcome at 8:30am on 1 July 2022 and it ends at 10am - the value would be
- Timezone is optional, and without it you get GMT. If you want to specify a timezone, use
ctzand the value is a tz database entry. For example, if you want South Africa it will be
- Location is also optional and it is the key
locationwith free form text in it.
If we put the above together as an example you get
- You must URL encode the values you use. For example, if you had a title of
Welcome Drinks, it needs to be
- There are other parameters for description etc... but I never used them so I do not have them documented anymore.